The visitors centre of the National Observatory of Athens will be conducting evening tours in English or Greek throughout September and October, offering the public the opportunity to peer through the 8 metre dome of the Doridis telescope, to enjoy the Athenian sky from the Hill of the Nymphs, opposite the Acropolis.
The Doridis refracting telescope was built by the French company P.F. Gautier in 1902. It is housed in a building designed by Ernst Ziller, a short distance from the Sinas building. It was used for the first time at the eclipse of the sun on 30th August, 1905.
The telescope was out of use for nearly half a century due to the lack of resources. In 2014 it was completely restored thanks to a generous donation made by telecommunications company OTE-COSMOTE.
The Sina building at the National Observatory of Athens has some of the first telescopes of Greece, including the meridian refractor of G. Bouris (1846). It also houses the Geoastrophysics museum and observatory library.
Find more events on in Athens.